Saturday, June 26, 2010

Viva Las Vegas!

This past week I took a buisness trip to Vegas! I attended the yearly HP event, HP Tech Forum. This year it was held at the Mandalay Bay hotel. I was thrilled to go but sad because it was the first time I was leaving Ava, and Mike wasn't going to come either. He stayed home with Ava. Very nice of him...
In order to prepare him for his week ahead, I did the following:
- Left him a weekly to-do list on the fridge
- Left 2 food post-it notes on the fridge, one on what he could eat and one on what Ava could eat
- Picked all of her clothes and bows for the week and ordered them on her dresser
- Attempted to teach him how to pull her hair up in a ponytail. If I didn't succeed in my teaching, I setup the school teachers as a backup plan. Told Mike just to take the bow and rubberband in.

In the end he did really well. One day he told me one the phone, "I got her hair in a ponytail. It doesn't look good but it's all up there!" I would have given anything to see that...LOL

The first day of my trip, Sunday, Mike told me that Ava was mopey and wouldn't eat. Each day he would tell me that she really missed me, he did too, but after a day or so she would eat and be in a better mood. I might have to do with the fact that Mike took her shopping just about everyday. She has a new collection of Toy Story toys now.

My trip to Vegas was a great experience. I not only never attended an HP event like that, but I also have never been to Vegas! I went with coworkers that are good friends so that helped. Here are a few of the highlights:

We had a press conference for key new products that I helped launch:


We also had a large keynote to announce the new products. Afterwards I got to go backstage and see all of the logistics on how it worked. Then I went on stage for my own photo op:


The show floor was really cool...love the colors and layout:




During one of the sessions Steve Wozinak made an appearance. The Woz! I later got an autographed book from him and attended his beach party that night with friends. That is about as close as I have ever come to $5.5 billion dollars (his estimated net worth in 2010):





I got to meet new team members that don't live locally. We went to dinner at The Steak House @ Excalibur:


Afterwards we went to an HP concert. Roger Daltry, leader singer of The Who, and The Goo Goo Dolls performed. I got really close to the stage for Goo Goo Dolls. Could have caught sweat! Instead I caught a guitar pick:


See how close we were to the Goo Goo Dolls:


After work there was a lot going on. Vegas is like a Saturday night every night. Lots of night life. The place I found was right within our hotel and right by the casino. The eyecandy sound bar and lounge. I danced many nights away in there...one night a performer from So You Think You Can Dance made an appearance and had a dance off with someone on the floor. It was me and I totally rocked...who knew I could pop and lock so well. Just kidding!

One day when I had about an hour or so break I decided to hop in a cab and visit the famous M&M World. I wanted to get Ava a present, or five. Cab ride there was a success...getting one home, no so lucky. Here are some shots of the store and the cute shirt I got her...got her other stuff like bowls and a cup, but didn't take a picture:



After I realized I couldn't find a cab, or someone to carry me piggyback, I decided to make a tour of it. Grabbed my cell, turned on the camera and started taking pictures. Here are some of the sites:

Characters on the sidewalk..Who knew Woody and Hello Kitty were friends!



Saw Hotels like: New York, New York, Luxor and Excalibur




Oh and I might add that I made this walk, that felt like a mile, in my dress clothes and these shoes:


My feet were hurting when I got back, but I still wore them to a work event and danced the night away at Eye Candy!

All in all, it was a lot of fun. I should have known I was in an exciting place when this sign appeared in the restroom:

Isn't this like having a "don't forget to flush" sign posted at the bar? LOL

No comments: