So off and on during this three day weekend I found myself tied to the marathon of John and Kate Plus 8. I normally watch the program but only when I stumble upon it...not something I DVR. But, this time was different. As I watched the episodes off and on I saw a preview for their Season 5 opener that kicked off last night. Intrigued of course due to the latest events going on with them I decided to DVR it.
I have read the few online postings or covers of magazines to know that John and Kate are not so great lately, but I wondered what in the heck did this. I have always believed that reality TV can test the best relationships and in most cases ends them...not to many good role models but these few come to mind: Jessica Simpson/Nick Lachey, The Hogans, Bachelor/Bachellorette winners. I starting thinking to myself, "Could John and Kate be the next reality TV victim?" For the sake of their kids I hope not, but I am beginning to think this ship is sinking and the family has evacuated in different boats.
So as I am watching the show last night I start to realize a few things, Kate loves the spotlight, not that it is a bad thing, but didn't Mom always tell us that too much of a good thing...well, it can get bad! John on the other hand is realizing now that this is more than he signed up for and he does not want to be a reality TV celebrity. Who in their right mind would? You get wacko's following you with cameras and people writing nonsense about you (me for example) online.
I just wonder what I would do if I was in that situation...first rewind the clock. At one point the two of you loved each other enough to marry and have kids. Knowing the invetro could lead to multiples you tried again after having twins, therefore proving your commitment to each other. You get an amazing gift of 6 healthy babies and you are thrilled. Locally, they probably became briefly famous because people are always intrigued by the latest situations that are out of the ordinary. Never in a million years did they see this coming (fame, TV etc). Unlike "OtcoMom" I bet they never decided to have these kids based on the potential to be famous! As you saw from the early on episodes they were a struggling family just trying to get by. Dad would take this coffee mug and bag to work while Mom created her "to-do" list for the day. You would see her at the grocery store working coupons like never before. But, where did it all go wrong....when people like me started catching onto it and liking the show. Being famous comes at a price, and you can either dance with that devil or live above it.
You went from a loving marriage to kids, to TV, to fame, to bodyguards and a million dollar house to a broken home! Yeah your kids may have their college educations and beyond paid for. You may wear name brands, drive nice cars, and live in a huge house but at the end of the day when those kids are in college and you are alone in that house what then? Is it then when you realize that promoting your book or show came at a steep price? Was it worth having your child call you by the baby sitter's name (fact one you are not where you need to be), or having your picture with a random woman in your car blasted all over the Internet (fact two you are also not where you need to be).
I wish them the best of luck and hope that they find what makes them happy in life, but I would never risk the happiness of my family for fame and fortune. They are all the fame and fortune you need. So I will end with this, as we were watching this my husband said, "what happened to TLC? You use to be able to learn stuff on that channel." I replied, "well you use to learn what far off places looked like, or how medical miracles were performed, now you just learn life lessons."
No comments:
Post a Comment