To celebrate we all took the day off and had family day at the zoo. The temperatures have been in the triple digits here lately so we weren't sure how long we were going to last out there! Believe it or not we hung out for about 3 hours. Not only did we walk around the normal parts of the zoo, we went to see their dinosaur exhibit before it closes on Labor Day weekend.
Ava was really excited to go on this trip. She had been talking about it for at least a week, all day every day. We got a flyer for the dinosaur exhibit in May...so she has be talking about that one for a REALLY long time. For those that know her well, you know that she has rubbery creatures that sleep with her. :) Well one of them is a dinosaur that we got when her Frog went missing. We named him Spiney. We weren't sure if the dinosaurs were going to scare her so we prepared her by telling her they were Spiney's friends, since he too is a dinosaur. So she asked if he could come along. When she very first met the dinosaurs she wouldn't get too close, she was afraid. However, she would stick Spiney right out in front of them. He is related to them so he shouldn't be afraid right?!? When we got to the first one you see her arm extend and Spiney is in her hand. Then you hear her say, "This is my Spiney, he is your friend." LOL
After we finished the exhibit we went into their little store and she found another Spiney. We named him Spikey, he is Spiney's uncle. :)
Mike had a great time walking her through the dinosaurs and the zoo in general. The two of them really love talking about animals and hunting for the reptiles in the smaller exhibits. This time we got a lot more up close and personal with a few animals. First it was goats...then it was a lizard.
We went into the reptile exhibit before we left and one of the workers had this critter out. Ava reached right out and pet it. I was squirming behind the camera. Then Mike pet it, then Ava again. I handed out sanitizer to them both and Mike laughed because I sanitized my hands too, and I hadn't even pet it! Eww...
Here are some of the other pictures from our trip:
When we got home I started preparing Mike's birthday feast. He wanted homemade chicken tacos in corn tortillas with guacamole, rice and homemade salsa! So I delivered:
Then I made him a birthday cake, my first ever ice cream cake. He likes Reeses Peanut Butter cups so that is what I made. Ava LOVED singing happy birthday to him. She told him happy birthday about 20 times yesterday and even thanked him for having a birthday!
P.S. You can see one of his presents in the pictures...new shoes!
No comments:
Post a Comment