Monday, September 6, 2010

11 years ago yesterday...

I went on my first date with Mike. :) Wow how time has flown by. I still look at him and see the same guy I first met all those years ago. Man I was smitten with him...still am. Instead of getting sappy on all of you blog readers, I thought I would share some interesting, and sometimes humorous, facts about our dating years!

Location, Location, Location: We lived 4 houses down from each other in a cul-de-sac

He's a sneaky one: He played basketball in the street with the other neighborhood boys. One time his ball hit my car and my little sister came in and told on him. I came out to check for damage, there wasn't any, and he realized that was how he could get me outside. My car would frequently be "accidentally" hit with the ball whenever I was inside and my sister was outside to witness it...and then tattle tail on him.

Mom to the RESCUE: My Mom knew I thought he was HOT. We would stare at him from my bedroom window. She asked me why I didn't ask him out, I asked her if she was crazy! One day my Mom told him, right in front of me, that he should ask me out on a date. She recommended the movies. Then he turned to my little sister (who was maybe 8) and asked her if she wanted to go out...right in front of me. I was mortified, he was kidding, but I was in the house with a face as red as the Koolaid man. He asked me out a week or so later.

Will you go out with me...and my friend?: When he finally asked me out I was a ball of nerves getting ready. When I went outside to meet up with him, so we could leave, I found out he invited his best friend, Geoff! The three of us went to see a movie that just released...The Sixth Sense. I guess he was too nervous to go alone? Still don't know to this day...
That is why our first date anniversary is in September instead of August!

No seriously, will you go out with just me?: Our actual first date was to wedding. His friend's sister was getting married. I didn't know logistics, just that it was a wedding. I bought a new skirt (black) and what was classified as a "summer sweater." Well the wedding was outside Labor Day weekend and I was sweating small Barbie pools under that sweater. Glad he doesn't like to dance...that would have been a deal breaker!

Can I have your digits?: We didn't have each other's phone numbers for at least the first 6 months we were together. When I did need it, I looked it up in the phone book.

Lets CHAT: Every night we would sit in my driveway and talk about anything from current events, our pasts, futures, hopes, dreams etc. Don't think I have ever talked to a boy that much, period.

I got you a present: One of the first gifts he gave me was a Furbee. Before he gave it to me he tried to teach it my name. He was unsuccessful. We still have that Furbee, he still doesn't know my name.

It's 80s NIGHT: We frequently went out on Friday nights. One radio station always had 80s night on Fridays. We would sing duets to 80s music in the car just about every week. We still do it today, sometimes with Ava!

Waterworks: When we went out I would always have gum and water. That way I was never hungry or thirsty! Women. One night on our way out he asked me for a drink of water. He got a drink and puffed out his cheeks like they were full. I looked at him and smiled, and he poked each cheek with a pointer finger, as a joke, but he ended up poking them too hard. He shot water out of his mouth all over my face! He was so embarrassed and I couldn't find a napkin! Needless to say we laughed it off, but I made sure I wasn't in spitting distance the next time he got a drink! AND I started wearing waterproof mascara...just kidding.



What an adventure it has been for us. I am very blessed to have him in my life. He is a wonderful man, partner and father. I hope one day I have a son so that I can raise a mini version of Mike. He (the son, not Mike) would make another woman out there very lucky one day...if I approve of her, of course! ;P

Happy 11yr Dating Anniversary Love!

No comments: