Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The next Tara Lapinski does not live in my house...

One of the many activities I planned for Ava over our Christmas vacation was ice skating. I got her ready to go today and kept telling her that she was going to have a lot of fun. My little sister Anna, her boyfriend Danny, and Jessica joined us. Prior to us leaving Ava was all smiles:


When we got to the rink and got our skates laced up she was still all smiles:

I got her a walker so that she would have something sturdy to hold on to for balance. I hadn't skated in a while so I didn't want her just holding onto me. We got out on the ice with the walker and she did ok for a little bit and then she slipped a couple of times. So then her happiness turned into this:


It was fright and fear. She wanted off the ice. So we took a break and sat in the bleachers to watch everyone skate. Jessica sat with her so she could see me skate and then we switched so Ava could see Jessica. I asked her if she wanted to go back out and she said, "I will sit here and you will skate." After the rest of us warmed up I decided that if I held one hand and Anna held the other then we could get Ava out there. Maybe the walker was the problem. She freaked out once we got on the ice. She raised her feet off the ice and started crying. By this time we were past once of the entrances to the rink and would have to go down further to get her off. We of course used this time to capture this moment forever:

Poor thing. I felt so bad. Ava's Grandma Debbie wanted to hang out with her in the afternoon so I decided to give her a call. I didn't think Ava would mind if she left the rink early. As we were taking her skates off Debbie walked in. I went to tell her bye and I asked her if she had a good time. She responded with a firm head shake, "no." Then I asked her if I scarred her for life. She responded with a firm head shake. "yes." Then as we turned around an autographed picture of Tara Lapinski was on the wall. I said, "Do you want to grow up and skate like her." I got another firm head shake, "no." Maybe in a few years we will try again...maybe!

However, the rest of us did really well on the ice. None of us had skated recently, and Danny had never ice skated before. We took a picture to commemorate our survival! We were very proud that none of us fell and broke any bones.

No comments: