Monday, July 11, 2011

My theory on parking...

My Mom once said to me, "Do you know what it means when you get a parking spot up front?" My initial reaction was pretty obvious:
  1. I don't have to walk as far to get into the store?
  2. We don't have to drive around forever looking for another spot?
Those were the given meanings. She then laid this one on me, "Getting a front parking spot means you are going to find what you are looking for in the store." Wow! What a new perspective. Now I aways want an up front parking spot. Yes, I am that lady stalking you as you are backing out. Just kidding. Sometimes.

As the years have passed I have morphed that theory a little bit to factor in the advantages and disadvantages of the rest of the parking lot. In turn that created my theory on parking:

Up front parking spot: You will find what you are looking for, and you may get it at a good price. At a minimum you will at least find what you are looking for.

Right in the middle spot (not too close, but not a hike away): You have a decent chance of finding almost everything on your list, and you might find a suprise item that you didn't know you were looking for but needed/wanted.

Boonies spot (aka: Need a shuttle bus): You might as well go home. Even if you happen to find what you are looking for by the time you leave it will be raining and you don't have your umbrella. To late to turn back to get it...you are parked two miles away!

To this day when Mike and I are in the car, and he finds front parking I say, "You know what this means?" Even if we were going in to get toilet paper! :) My theory was put to the test today and survived...

I went to Target looking for a few things. The main one was a magnetic whiteboard for our fridge. I needed something, besides paper, to put our weekly menu on. I was also considering a small coffee pot. Hadn't made it in ink on the list...just an idea. When I arrived at Target I got a "right in the middle spot." I was optimistic I would find what I wanted and boy did I!

I easily located the whiteboard and required accessories. Browsed the coffee maker aisle, and found a suitable candidate. Decided to pass. I haven't had a maker in almost 12 years. Why start now? After all I really don't drink that much coffee. Then as I happily started making my way to the checkout I decided to walk down the stationary aisle. I often do this as I have a weird desire to possess thank you cards in large quantities. Don't ask.

I decided that I would check and see what styles they had for Ava's birthday. You recall my prior post right? So you shouldn't be shocked that I am looking for thank you notes in July for a party that won't happen until September. Send the straight jacket! As I am looking I see some random ones...nothing too stellar. Then what to my wondering eyes should appear? Perfection in a box:



Only two boxes left - just the amount I needed. I scooped them up and almost skipped to the checkout counter. It is thrilling to find something you need, and for it to be exactly what you would have wanted is even better! After paying I blissfully walked to my car, in the middle of the parking lot,  sipping on a Starbucks coffee that I bought before leaving the store.

No comments: