Throughout the planning process I have shown Ava bits and bites of things that I have ordered just to see what she thinks. So here is a preview of what we have done so far, and the good and bad that have come along with it.
Invitation:
The Good: Ava loves them, I love them. The PrintFairy on Etsy did a great job!
The Bad:
- Now that she has seen the invitations Ava thinks her party is tomorrow.
- She uses her party as a bargaining tactic. I have been uninvited (because I had bad behavior according to her) and reinvited again (after I reminded her that I make the cupcakes) about 753 times. She will say things like, "Well because you did _____ you can't come to my birthday anymore." NICE!
Napkins:
I don't have a picture, but I purchased some of each character. Also threw in a little Wonder Woman for good measure.
The Good: I got napkins for the party!
The Bad:
- When Ava saw these she thought her party was tomorrow. Any other time she accidentally sees these she thinks her party is tomorrow.
- She wasn't thrilled when she realized Wonder Woman was involved. She kept telling me that these were for me on my birthday!
- Superman isn't apparently as mainstream as Spiderman and Batman. Therefore, leaving me with eBay as my only option for these napkins. Don't ask...I still have nightmares about the shipping costs. That was my one "idiot" purchase this go round...well so far. Ha.
The "Entertainment":
We are working to get a face painter to put masks on the kids. Also, I am working to confirm appearances by the heroes.
The Good:
- Ava only knows about the face painter. The heroes are a surprise!
- I am pretty excited about seeing the look on her face.
- It gives me a way to entertain the guests inside. It is only 1,082 degrees outside in September. Air conditioning is a must.
- I worry that some guests will FREAK out at the site of these heroes. Ava included. She has done well before, but it was with Elmo and The Mario Brothers. So should I be investing in Kleenex boxes decorated in superhero garb?
Don't let your kid know what you are doing for their birthday party until a day before. Why you ask? Because:
- You will get asked everyday if their party is tomorrow
- You will have to bargain your way on the guest list
- They will tell everyone they know, and those they just met, that they are having a party and that they should come
- Some of your purchases work against you. In my case it was a CD that I bought of various superhero theme songs. Ava saw it....
Two months and counting till the party... HELP!

No comments:
Post a Comment