Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A freckle...

What is a freckle?
[From Middle English frakles, freckles, alteration of fraknes, probably of Scandinavian originOld Icelandic freknōttr, freckly.]
(noun) A small brownish spot on the skin, often turning darker or increasing in number upon exposure to the sun.

Kids are amazed with such crazy things. Ava is amazed by freckles. According to her count, she only has one. Except for that fleck of chocolate she found on her arm one day. Her hopeful attempt for another freckle was ruined at the swipe of a wipe! :(

Her lone freckle is on her tummy. Anytime she sees one on me, I have more than one, she calls it out and shows me hers. Just in case I forgot where it was. Over the Memorial Day weekend we were all laying in bed watching America's Funniest Home videos...pretty standard given our weekend. She decided to show me her freckle. This spot is her homie... I asked her the same question that I have the last 10 times I met freckle for the first time, "what is your freckle's name?"

Many times she would ramble something from a foreign language. I have offered Fred, Francis....but none were accepted. Monday night she had an answer...

Mom: Ava what is the name of your freckle?
Ava: Ummm Ummm (thinking). Oh Brown.
Mom: His name is Brown?
Ava: Yes
Mom: Good name...

So just incase you were wondering...Ava has a freckle named Brown that lives on her tummy. If you ever want to meet him just ask. She isn't shy and neither is he!

No comments: